Before the main body of this post, I want to say this. The United Way of W. Connecticut is collecting donations that will go directly to those affected in the shooting. Money won’t bring someone back from the dead, or take away the pain and fear that so many people are experiencing, but when everything is falling apart for these families, maybe some small act of support will let them breathe. Let’s all keep those affected in our prayers. Lord, have mercy on these families.
Usually, changing the world requires action. However, due to a few recent life circumstances and my observation of a friend who lives this out, I have seen that it is also possible to change the world with your attitude. Specifically, the attitude of being content with your own circumstance and loving others to the point you are discontent with their circumstance, if it is unjust, can change the world. Being content and loving others is an attitude that will change the world because
- It is contagious
- If genuine, it usually prompts action
- It opens our eyes to things to which we are often blinded due to our self-focus and discontent.
I am still struggling with this and am trying to develop that attitude myself. However, here are some things that are helping me. I hope they might help you, too.
- Unless there is something you can do about the situation (which there often is not, since discontent and helplessness are typically connected), being discontent and unloving will harm you. Think of all the negative effects long term stress can have on your body.
- As Christians, we are called to be connected to Jesus as branches to a vine. If we are connected to him, we will produce fruit (John 15). Some of these named fruits include love, joy, and PEACE.
- At least with me, the main things in my life that are “causing” ingratitude are nothing inherently bad, they are just worse than what I perceive other people having. Maybe if you really look at your life, it is the same with you
- Discontent blinds us to ways we can tangibly love people. At the end of the day, it is selfish
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” –John 16:33
So, that is what is on my heart as of late. I hope it helps you, too!