Recently, I have been hearing a lot about “guerilla gardening”. While I have never done it, I think it is an inspiring and powerful way to change the world. So, I want to write about it here. Basically, guerilla gardening is the cultivation of crops on unauthorized land. Although this is technically breaking the law, let me tell you why I support it
1. It occurs on government land that is not being used for anything else, nor is it planned to be used for anything at all.
2. I have only heard of it happening in extremely poor urban areas. This means that guerilla gardening gives safe, healthy activities and fresh produce to children in those neighborhoods that may not have a lot of access to either.
3. It beautifies and utilizes areas that have been termed as “slums” because of the lack of beauty and utilitarianism present.
4. It creates activists. When people are told not to grow their own food simply because they don’t have land, people normally find a way to nonviolently resist this, which develops skills ranging from diplomacy to integrity.
5. Everyone knows that kids traditionally don’t like vegetables. However, if kids grow their own vegetables, studies have proven that they are more likely to eat them, giving children a healthier diet.
So, that is why I support guerilla gardening. I think everyone that doesn’t own property should start doing it. It will normalize it and therefore make it easier for people to start. For more information, check out the Guerilla Gardening Home Page.
P.S. For those wondering, I have not totally reconciled that I believe it is a sin to break the law and my support of guerilla gardening, any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated 🙂