When we think about changing the world, or even changing our communities or families, the task is daunting. Seriously, it can be too overwhelming to even know where to begin. And, some people are so busy with work, their children, and life in general, that even the most humanitarian among them do not have time to volunteer. So, can these people really change the world?
I truly believe that while lofty acts of service and major works for justice are necessary, small actions throughout the day from a large group of people are equally necessary in order for change to come about. So, if you want to help others but have no idea where to even begin, or where you even found two seconds free to have the thought that you want to help others, you are in luck, because there are a lot of small things that you can do that will add up.
Here is a list of five small things that you can do to change the world in a small way, just by changing someone’s day. Write this list down and keep it with you in the car or on your bathroom mirror- and add to it! That way, you will always be reminded of how, despite all of the craziness of life happening around you, you can change the world.
1. Write a thank you note to the cleaning crew at your office and leave it where they will see it. (And, if you really are feeling it, leave a small tip :))
2. Put some change in an expired parking meter
3. Tell your boss, teacher or professor that he or she is doing a great job and that you appreciate what they’ve taught you.
4. Buy a special treat (cookies, bagels, etc.) for your coworkers, small group, or kids
5. Spend two minutes over at FreeRice.com or get the app
For more ideas on how you can start small, check out this article. The most important thing though, is that you do start now! Doing something positive has amazing ripple effects.